Skip to Main Content

Helping Students Reach Their Educational Goals

Surry Community College values academic advising as a key resource in helping students reach their educational goals. At Surry, academic advising is viewed as a teaching and learning process that contributes to student success and retention by focusing on the student. Advising is a cooperative effort between the student and his/her advisor, whereby both parties have responsibilities in ensuring student success. 

staff member helping student on computer

As a result of the advising process, students will be able to set long-term and short-term educational goals. Students will learn to accept responsibility for their educational development, and make informed decisions using critical thinking skills.

Guide, Plan, & Succeed

Upon applying to Surry, new students will attend a Guide, Plan, and Succeed (G.P.S) session. During this time, a Success Advisor will guide students through the process of registering using Student Planning.  Each subsequent semester, students will meet with an assigned faculty advisor for advising and registration. The faculty advisor will work with the student to register and edit the plan during advising sessions. 

During the first advising session, as well as in ACA, students will develop a plan of study. The faculty advisor will work with the student to register and edit the plan during advising sessions. Students are required to see their advisor, each semester, regardless of academic standing.  

Advising for Transfer Students

Surry Community College offers several transfer programs for students interested in continuing their education at a four-year institution. Surry encourages students taking classes in the Associate in Arts (AA) and Associate in Science (AS) programs to earn the two-year degree before transferring because AA and AS graduates receive significant benefits a​nd protections as transfer students if they meet certain conditions.

Students who transfer to a four-year UNC institution before earning an AA, AS, or AFA degree should prioritize taking Universal General Education Transfer Component (UGETC) courses because students earning a "C" or better in these classes are guaranteed to receive credit toward the university’s lower division general education course requirements.

Students planning to transfer to a private (non-UNC) four-year institution should contact the admissions office at the institution to discuss the best possible courses to take while at Surry.​​​

Minimum Course Requirements

All students who plan to enter a four-year university must have met the MCR requirements either in high school or at a community college. Generally, the continued study of language (beyond English) and a strong math curriculum in college are recommended.

Completion of MCR Requirements in High School


Completion of MCR Requirements at a Community College

  • working with honey comb

    SCC Offers Sustainable Beekeeping Class Beginning April 20


    Read Article
  • iwo jima memorial

    SCC to Offer Online Summer on Native American History


    Read Article
  • Self Defense May 8

    SCC Offers Self-Defense Class for EMS, Hospital, Fire/Rescue and Education Workers


    Read Article

Want to Learn More?

Choosing a college is an important decision, and we’re pleased that you’re interested in Surry Community College.