Skip to Main Content

NC Longleaf Commitment Grant


With the North Carolina Longleaf Commitment Grant, money no longer has to be an obstacle to getting a good education that will get you hired. That’s because many 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023 high school graduates in the state, like you, can access up to $2,800 per year for two years—which means you could potentially earn a degree from any of the 58 community colleges across the state tuition free. (You read that right.)

And the best part—other than the grant money itself (which, like a scholarship, never has to be repaid)—is that there’s no extra application to fill out. And there’s no catch, either. All you have to do is finish your FAFSA® (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and enroll in an NC Community College. Then, if you’re eligible, the financial aid office at your community college will inform you of your grant award.

Awards range from $700-$2,800 per year to pay for tuition and fees at an NC Community College. Funding for the grant program comes from the Governor’s Emergency Education Relief (GEER) fund using money from federal COVID-19 relief packages. The NC Longleaf Commitment grant program is a partnership between the NC Governor’s Office, NC Community College System, and the State Education Assistance Authority.

Who is eligible?

To receive a Longleaf Commitment Grant, you must be:

  • A North Carolina resident
  • A 2020, 2021, 2022 or 2023 North Carolina high school graduate (High school equivalency completers (GED, HiSET) are eligible)
  • A first-time college student (Career & College Promise (CCP) and Early/Middle College High School students are eligible)
  • Enrolled in a curriculum program for the academic year
  • Taking at least 6 credit hours per semester (Part-time eligible students will receive a partial award)
  • A student who has completed the FAFSA (with a resulting Expected Family Contribution or EFC between $0-$15,000).

To be awarded a grant for the following academic year, all you have to do is:

  • Renew your FAFSA for the school year
  • Meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements of your college

How do I get this grant?

  1. Apply for admission at Surry Community College
  2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  3. Receive your award letter by mail.

What do I need to do to fill out the FAFSA?

  1. Talk to your parents. (You’ll most likely need their financial information to complete the FAFSA.)
  2. Review and gather all the necessary documentation for filling out the FAFSA.
  3. Plan a time when you’ll have at least an hour to fill it out together.
  4. Complete and submit your FAFSA.
  5. Find out what happens next and get more useful info.

Assistance with the FAFSA

Filling out the FAFSA is an important step in putting your education within reach. But you don’t have to do it on your own. The College Foundation of North Carolina has variety of resources to guide and support you along the way: FAFSA Assistance.

Want to Learn More?

Choosing a college is an important decision, and we’re pleased that you’re interested in Surry Community College.