COVID 19 - Library and Academic Support Services
Beginning Monday, March 23, the Library will offer “drive thru” service to Surry Community College students only, Monday & Wednesday, 8:30am - 1:30pm, and Tuesday & Thursday, 2pm - 8pm. We will have a staff member available to retrieve books and videos from the library collection. Please call 336-386-3259 to arrange pick-up.
The Academic Support Center will also begin tutoring services remotely. Full details of services are provided below.
All other library services will be available through the library website – including our 24/7 librarian chat service.
In addition, library staff are adding some new services for students and faculty:
- Online library desk (questions, research/citation help):
- Monday-Thursday from 7:30am - 4:30 pm, Friday from 7:30am – 2:30pm
- Online library instruction (for classes):
- Access to new resources:
- Docuseek is a new collection of nearly 900 streaming documentary videos. This database contains videos supporting a variety of courses and subject areas. All of our streaming video collections are available at https://library.surry.edu/watch
- The entire JSTOR database is now available to SCC users. We previously had access to the “Language and Literature Collection” only, but JSTOR has opened up their entire archive to us. This is an amazing resource of online articles and book chapters from many subject areas.
- Cambridge University Press has made over 700 higher education textbooks available for free.
The vast majority of the library collection is available in online format through our library search engine or by searching individual databases. We also have online citation guides for APA, MLA, Turabian, and more.
Academic Support Center
The Academic Support Center and Writing Lab will be open on-campus:
- Academic Support Center (R-212): Monday – Thursday from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Friday from 8:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Writing Lab (R-209): Monday – Thursday from 8:00 am - 4:00 pm, Friday from 8:00 am – 12:00 pm
The ASC will also offer the following virtual services for distance learners:
- Microsoft Team for the Academic Support Center (Ask questions and get quick information on our services.)
- The ASC website (Up-to-date and detailed information on dates, times, and location of tutoring.)
- Math Tutoring Team (Times TBD, visit ASC website for details.)
- Writing Tutoring Team [http://tiny.cc/surry-writing (Times TBD, visit ASC website for details.)
- The ASC also typically offers Anatomy & Physiology, Chemistry, Biology, Spanish, and others. Times, dates, and locations TBD. Visit ASC website for details.
- We also have the 24/7 Tutor.com service available.
Associate Dean - Learning Resources
Director of Academic Support & Research