Online Learning State Authorization

State Authorization is a legal issue dealing with a college's adherence to state requirements for colleges to secure authorization to offer instruction in that state. Compliance with individual state requirements is now part of the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008, Amended 2010.

Surry Community College, like all colleges across the country, must comply with federal State Authorization regulations. Out-of-State students should read the Out-of-State Student Grievance procedures before enrolling at SCC.

Student Grievance Procedures

Surry Community College is a member of the North Carolina Community College System (NCCCS). The NCCCS Complaint Policy is available for all students to review, however, students are advised to begin the process at the institutional level.

If a complaint cannot be resolved through the institution's complaint process, students may file a complaint with the North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints unit. Please review the NC Post-Secondary Education Student Complaint Policy (PDF), print and complete the NC Post-Secondary Education Complaint Form (PDF) and submit the complaint to:

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints:

c/o Student Complaints
University of North Carolina General Administration
910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688
Phone: (919) 962-4550
Website: North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints

Students residing outside of the State of North Carolina while attending SCC who desire to resolve a grievance should follow the College's Student Grievance Procedure.

State Authorization Liaisons

SACSCOC Student Grievance Process

If for some reason the complaint is not satisfactorily resolved, the next step would be to file a complaint with Surry Community College's accrediting agency. SCC is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate degrees, diplomas, and certificates. Students who file a complaint with the accrediting agency should follow the SACSCOC Complaint Procedure. The contact information for SACS is:

SACSCOC Contact Information:

1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097
Phone: (404) 679-4500

Regional Accreditor (SACSCOC) Complaint Process

If a student has evidence that an institution is in significant non-compliance with SACSCOC standards, policies, or procedures, the individual should inform SACSCOC using the Complaints Against Institutions: Information Sheet and Form

SARA-NC Grievance Process

Students may also file a complaint through SARA-NC. SARA-NC is the portal for the North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority. Students should follow the SARA-NC Complaint Process and use the SARA-NC Complaint Form (PDF).

SARA-NC Contact Information:

SARA North Carolina
North Caroline State Education Assistance Authority
P.O. Box 14103
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Phone: (855) SARA-1-NC (727-2162)
Phone: (919) 549-8614, ext. 4667

Professional Licensure

If you are considering a program at SCC that leads to licensure or certification and you do not live in North Carolina, please contact the respective licensing board in the state where you reside before beginning the program.