Do you need assistance with education costs? Are you employed or unemployed in Surry or Yadkin County? Have you, your family or your community even been affected by the decline in the tobacco industry?
For the sixth year, Surry Community College received a Surry Skill-Up grant from the NC Tobacco Trust Fund Commission for $20,000. Below is a list of opportunities provided to Surry and Yadkin county residents. Interested individuals must meet the federal TRIO income guidelines, and attend a Surry Skill-Up advising session.
- Surry Skill-Up Tuition Assistance
The Surry Skill-Up grant provides financial assistance to Continuing Education students for tuition, fees and/or books. Through skills assessments, short-term occupational training, and career development counseling, the purpose of Surry Skill-Up is to retrain workers to obtain marketable skills and quickly enter the work-force.
- Basic Law Enforcement Training (up to $250)
- Certified Nursing Assistant I ($183 tuition and $16 Mal-practice Insurance fee for a total of $199 of the $252 tuition fee)
- Certified Nursing Assistant II ($183 tuition of the $236 tuition fee)
- GED® Testing (fee-up to $80)
- EMT Basic (up to $250)
- Paramedic Training (up to $250)
- Pharmacy Technician (up to $183 tuition)
- Phlebotomy I & II ($183 tuition)
- Career Readiness Certification
- Farm to Table Training Series
Surry Community College, in partnership with the Surry County Center of North Carolina Cooperative Extension, is offering a series of “Farm to Table” courses designed to prepare people to farm for profit. The tuition for this training is free thanks to a grant provided through the Surry Skill-UP program and made possible by the NC Tobacco Trust Fund Commission.
- Grape Growing Series
The “Grape Growing” workshops below will be held on the Dobson Campus for Surry Community College at the Shelton-Badgett Center for Viticulture & Enology.
Interested in this course?
Pre-registration is required for each session. Please call (336) 386-3618 to register.
Space is limited.