Fire and Rescue Instructor
Instructor Certification Requirements
Surry Community College Fire and Rescue Division conducts all certification tests in accordance with the North Carolina Fire and Rescue Commission Testing Policy. A simplified testing policy is available which summarizes the main points of this policy. To be eligible to test, students must register BEFORE 10% of the class time has passed and MUST attend 80% of the entire class.
- Instructor I Requirements
- Instructor II Requirements
- Instructor III Requirements
- Qualification Areas for Instructor II
Qualified Instructors must requalify in subject areas accredited by IFSAC and/or Pro Board every five (5) years or as the standard is revised. Qualified Instructors, who lose their qualification due to missing one of these mandatory re-qualifications, may become re-qualified by the following options:
- Qualifications delivered in Regional Testing – the Instructor must register and successfully complete the qualification requirement which includes meeting any applicable pre-requisites and passing the job knowledge exam with a passing grade of 80%.
- Qualifications delivered by Field Testing – the Instructor must register with the Field Service Supervisor and successfully complete the classroom portion and defined qualification requirements. The Field Service Supervisor will define these requirements as they are course specific. Any defined qualification requirements will include, but are not limited to, meeting any applicable pre- requisites and passing the job knowledge exam with a passing grade of 80%. This option can only be utilized within the first two (2) years following a subject's revision date.
- If #2 is not applicable, then the Instructor must successfully complete the entire qualification process to reacquire any lost qualification.